Nov 10, 2008

Set Dosa with Vegetable Saagu..


Hmm, so I was all set to make Set Dosa and Saagu on the weekend. Google just made me scratch my head with all the different variations. I called up Mom and asked her and she gave me two different options to make Set dosas. I frowned at both the options and told her that I think she is confused as to what I want and irritated her. The ingredients she told me were no matches to my Google searches, so the arguing. She just told me to try and then tell her what happened ;). I was really pleased with the soft, spongy dosas that resulted in exactly what I wanted. So, am sure there are plenty of variations and this might not be the authentic way of making Set Dosas, but this is what I tried and will stick with coz I got excellent results. I will try mom's option #2 soon too. Do try it to know what I mean.

Set Dosa

Ingredients

Rice - 1 cup
Methi seeds/Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
Chana Dal - 1/4 cup
Toor Dal - 1/4 cup ( I used the orange masoor dal instead )
Grated fresh/frozen Coconut - 1/4 cup
Poha/ Beaten Rice/ Avalakki - 1/2 cup
Salt

Method

- Soak the Rice with the Methi seeds, moong dal, chana dal and toor dal for about 6-8 hrs.
- Before grinding, wash and soak the poha in water for about 10 mins. Squeeze out all the water.
- Grind the soaked rice and dal mixture alongwith the poha and grated coconut to a smooth batter. Take care that the batter is not too watery or runny.
- Add salt at the end of grinding, mix and let the batter ferment about 10-12 hrs or overnite.
- Once fermented and ready to make dosas, heat tawa, pour a ladle full of batter and just spread very lightly so that the dosa is thick. Drizzle oil/ghee on sides and top and once one side is done, flip and cook for just about 5 secs on the second side. When first side cooking, you will see tiny holes forming indicating a soft and spongy texture of the dosa and will be cooked through on both sides, but I turned and cooked the second side also for about 5 secs.
- Serve hot with Saagu.
Note : These dosas are made round and thick in size ( like pancakes).



Had never made Saagu also before, though eaten in the restaurants many a times in Bangalore with hot Puris and Set dosas. When I googled for the recipe, again confusion at all the variations. Mom of course, had her own recipe. Finally, I took tips from all the recipes that I saw and mom's recipe and made the Saagu which I thought would suit us. It indeed turned out yummy :). I followed LG's Saagu recipe mostly here, but added some extra ingredients apart from those she has mentioned. So, thanx LG :)..

Now, some recipes call for adding garlic while some I see don't. Are these both different options?? If anyone knows, please do let me know.

Saagu

Ingredients

Coconut - 1/4 cup ( reduce the quantity to 2 tbsp if you find this too much).
Putani/Hurgadale/Dalia/Roasted Chana Dal - 2 tbsp
Khus Khus/Poppy seeds - 2 tsp
Green Chillies - 3
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cloves/Lavang - 5
Black Peppercorns - 7-8
Cinnamon/Dalchini - 1 inch piece
Cilantro - 1/4 cup
Mint leaves - 8-10
Tamarind - 2 small pieces

Surti Papdi/Flat beans/Chapparada Averakayi - 1 cup
Potato, cut into chunks - 1 1/2 cup
Carrots, cut into chunks - 1 cup
Onions, cut into chunks - 1 cup
Tomato, cut into chunks - 1 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 5-6
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil

Method

- Boil the cut vegetables with little salt and enough water in a pressure cooker upto 1 whistle.
- Make a paste by grinding together all the items from Coconut to tamarind with very little water.
- In a pan, add oil, add the mustard seeds and when they start crackling, add the curry leaves.
- Add the ground paste & turmeric powder to the pan and on low flame, fry this paste till the oil starts oozing out slightly.
- Add the boiled vegetables along with the water, mix everything, adjust the salt and simmer to boil. Add water to adjust consistency if needed.
- Once simmered and boiled for about 5 mins, take off from flame.
- Ready to be served with Dosa, Puris, or Chapatis.

Print this recipe

12 Comments:

Purnima said...

Maya...soft n spongy..OMG.. I am craving for these right now..wishing they might pop out of the screen straight into my drooling mouth! Must try these! Tks for sharing ...both saagu n s.d look appealing!

Bhawana said...

wow yuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmy set dosa. it is so mouthwatering. u made the way we used to have in bangalore. I bookmarked ur recipe dear.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Loooks good..will do yours method

Priya Suresh said...

Yummy saagu..love set dosa...thanks for sharing..

Shah cooks said...

coincidence..but i was looking for a set dosa recipe just yest.will try it and let u know.

Veda said...

Thanks for the compliments on my kai kriye blog! u have a pretty blog here with yummy food !

Meera said...

Hey, your conversation with ur mom reminded me of mine with my mom. I too frown and argue with her if her recipe seems different than the usual guesses - especially since I have started blogging..:-) but still the result following mom's way - is always awesome.

Do tell ur mom, that I tried this set dosa today and it was just delicious. i will send the piture in the mail...I loved the addition of different daals. It gave a pretty yellow hue. I was planning to make sagu too, but at the last minute I had to get rid of the boiled potatoes in the fridge so made song instead.

Thanks to u & ur mom for sharing this lovely recipe of set dosa.

Usha said...

First time here you have a wonderful space here, the set dosas looks spongy and perfect,just the way I remember they tasted when I had them in B'lore, will try these for sure...

Divya Kudua said...

Set dosas look so inviting!!Never knew there was a recipe for set dosa..I always make it with the usual dosa batter..shall try your version next!!

Premyscakes said...

wow set dosa looks soo... yummy! Thanks for sharing.

Andhra Flavors said...

sagu looks wonderful and perfect.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]konkanworld.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Here is a fact for you. Recent Scientific Research shows that almost 60% of all U.S. grownups are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.