Apr 21, 2010

Bimbla Nonche/Pickle



I have a weakness for pickles, and more-so when they are home made. This pickle made out of Bimbal is one of my favourites and I love this one made by my mom. These are pictures and recipe I took when mom made it during my last visit.
The recipe involves the regular pickle seasonings, but there's something in the way each one makes them.
We use this Bimbal fruit/veggie very widely in our cooking, in gravies and pickles. Its a sour fruit and lends the tart/sour base needed in some dals and curries. Read more about Bimbal here.
The fruit has to be very firm when used for this pickle. It will not work even if it gets a little soft when making the pickle. Ofcourse, once you make the pickle, it will soften out slightly.

Ingredients

Bimbal, patted completed dry and cut into small rounds - 2 cups
Til Oil - 2 tsp+4 tsp
Red Chilli pwd - 4 tsp
Methi/Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 3 tsp
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Haldi/Turmeric pwd - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 3 tsp or as you like.

Method

- Warm 2 tsp of oil in a small pan. Add the fenugreek seeds, hing, mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the haldi, black pepper, red chilli pwd and 3 tsp salt. Take off from heat. Once this cools, grind all together in a mixie.

- Add the cut Bimbal pieces to this masala, add the other 4 tsp of oil, mix everything well and keep in airtight bottle. It will be ready to eat the next day.



Note:

- The shelf life of this pickle is very little.
- It will last a few extra days if kept in the refrigerator.
- The pickle will ooze out moisture the next day and won't be as dry as when you first mix it.

Also, check out the Bimbla Nonche recipe at Shilpa's.


Print this recipe

15 Comments:

Manju said...

hmm bilimbi! i think ive had this somewhere but not sure its the same thing...nice spicy pickle!

Purnima said...

Maya this pickle's made me salivate! :D Remember those school vacations in Native where we all cousins used to pluck the bimbools n karmbals happily for some kitchen use, and some were gulped down wt salt b4 reaching kitchen :D Tks for sharing this lovely pickle n also 4 taking me down the memory lane! :) Hugs.

kitchen queen said...

looks yummy and delicious pickle to have with rice and curd.

Finla said...

Just looking to the pic I am drooling.

Meera said...

It's been ages since I had them. I was talking to my mom the other day and she mentioned about it. Since then, I was craving it and look what I see today at your blog? u know what i was thinking? I was thinking of substituting star fruit and making some for myself. don't know how it will be.

KonkaniBlogger said...

Thank you all :)..Yes, I have some really good memories of plucking the bimbal from trees and having with a little salt..

Meera, we do make the same one with Starfruit also(Karmbal). Use the firm green ones for this too, and am sure it will work great!

Grandma Lilly - said...

Ummmmmmmm..mouth watering pickle.but do you get bimbul also in the US of A?

Meera said...

Maya,
I think I got confused between bimbal and karambal. Thanks for clarifying. :-)

Aps Kitchen said...

Lovely!!!! Another Amchi here.... Here we dont get bimbul... m craving for it... my grandma used to make a dish called kathkatho nd it used to taste heaven... nd this pickle is so yum... We can even add losun nd make Black pickle of this....:) Thnx for posting

Anonymous said...

Think this is called ambate kayi in kannada.. Lovely pickle :)

callmeasviju said...

very nice blog...........if time permits just visit my blog.........
http://lets-cook-something.blogspot.com/

Hari Chandana P said...

Wonderful recipe with amazing photos.. very nice blog.. thanks for visiting my blog.. Keep in touch :)

Cheers,
Hari Chandana

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Looks simple yet delicious. Love to have it with curd rice.
http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

Rinku Naveen said...

Mouthwatering pickle. And Bimblis are so yumm..

Srividhya Ravikumar said...

very nice recipe..love it..