Sep 6, 2008

Kananga Paayas/ Sweet Potato Payasam..

On my last grocery trip, I came across these White sweet potatoes that we get in India. Why excited??? Coz I love these and also for the reason that a couple of times before, I have been fooled by the Yams (orange flesh) which look like sweet potatoes, but don't taste the same. So, this time when came across the actual ones that I adore, I didn't think twice, just picked up a couple and made this wonderful Payasam that is my Mom's recipe. I've always loved this Payasam. Do give it a try if you haven't tasted it before.


Ingredients
Sweet potato, grated - 1 1/4 cup
Rava/Semolina - 1 tsp
Chana Dal - 1 tbsp
Coconut Milk - 1/4 cup
Jaggery, grated - 1/2 cup ( Increase more if you like sweeter)
Elaichi powder - 1/2 tsp
Raisins - 2 tbsp
Cashews - 2 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp


Method
- Soak the chana dal in water for about an hour. Then cook it till it is soft and just cracks but not mushy. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat ghee, fry the raisins and cashews, and take them out on a plate.
- Now add the rava to the ghee and fry for a minute. Add about 1/2 cup of water and the grated sweet potato to the pan, and let it cook till it becomes soft.
- Now add the boiled chana dal, jaggery and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk and elaichi powder and just bring to one boil. Switch off stove and garnish with fried raisins and cashews.

Note :

- The sweet potato can be either grated or cut into very fine pieces for this.
- The rava gives thickness to the payasam once its cooked, so adjust the water keeping this in mind, else it will turn out too thick.
- I have not used cashews this time, but it tastes great when both cashews and raisins are added.
- Take care that the chana dal does not become mushy.
- I have used fresh coconut milk, by blending fresh coconut with water and then extracting the white milk from it. You can use canned lite coconut milk too.

Print this recipe

7 Comments:

Purnima said...

Hey Maya, this 'Kanga Godshe' is my mom's fave! She loves anything that is kananga-be it simple boiled one, kananga kachri ! Thks for sharing the recipe! Pic is mouthwatering!

notyet100 said...

sweet potato payasam is new for me ,thnks for sharin..

Deepa Kuber said...

lovely paysam recipe.. i have sweet potatoes at home luckily.. will try this today.

Lakshmi said...

a very new recipe to me..will keep this in mind for payasam preparation next time :)

Meera said...

We call kananga payasam as Mergol. Your recipe looks delicious. I can imagine the excitement when you saw the Indian style sweet potatoes!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Maya
ur payasam looks yum!! i bought sweet potatoes today. Will try it tomorrow

Uj said...

Hi Maya,
I love kananga godshe. Your looks yummy :)