The following is a recipe I tried out from here. With the Thai Vegan event happening, I was on the lookout for some easy recipes, as although loving thai food, I had never before tried it at home. I try to keep away from peanuts in cooking, plus didn't want to go through the entire process of making the sauces and everything.
Anyways, after narrowing down on a curry (rite, we love curries), this is what I have.
I have used the store-bought readymade green curry paste, and I must stress here, that although my picture indicates a bland curry here, its deceiving. That paste was just overly spicy and so the curry went a long way in the spice level even without the spice color.
All in all, we were extremely pleased with this flavorful, spicy, coconuty, vegetable curry and with the ready paste, it worked to be really really easy.
I have adapted the recipe to suit us. You can see the original recipe here.
Extra-firm Tofu - 12 oz. package
Chopped fresh veggies ( carrots, red bell pepper, zucchini, green beans) - 3 cups together
Straw mushrooms, drained - 1 can. I did not use this time, but definitely would recommend.
Potato, cut into chunks - 1 small
Thai kitchen green curry - 1 1/2 - 2 tbsps.
Coconut Milk - 1 can (13 oz.). See note below
Vegetable broth - 1/2 cup.
Sliced bamboo shoots, drained - 8 oz. can
Frozen peas - 1/4 - 1/2 cup
Salt - to taste
- Put a large pot of water to boil.
- Slice tofu into 1/2"x1" pieces and on a greased baking sheet, bake them in the oven at 275F for 30 minutes till lightly browned.
- Clean any grit from the mushrooms if using.
- Add the fresh veggies and the potatoes to the boiling water. Cook just until al dente. Strain and set veggies aside.
- Carefully open the coconot milk can WITHOUT shaking or disturbing the can. Spoon out the white cream from the top while keeping the clear liquid at the bottom. You will find the clear liquid after spooning out more than half of the can. Keep them both separate.
- In a large pot or deep frying pan, combine the clear coconut liquid and the vegetable broth. On medium heat, cook the veggies, tofu, bamboo shoots until cooked but not mushy. Add more broth to cover all the vegetables while cooking. Add the mushrooms and peas midway.
- Slowly stir in the coconut milk for desired consistency. Add in the green curry paste and the salt and cook till raw smell goes away.
- Serve hot with rice.
Print this recipe
- I used only 1/4 of the reserved cream of coconut. Used all of the clear liquid. The original recipe says that this method of separating the clear liquid and the cream is used to get rich curries.
- You could use a mix of many or just a couple of vegetables in this dish.
- This dish tastes better with time, like for the next meal.
- I used the 'Maesri' brand of green curry paste. Its very spicy and fragrant.
This post is off to ' Its a Vegan World - Thai ' , hosted by Priya of Akshaypatram.
This post would also go to FIC - Red & Green, hosted by Neha of EasyNTasyRecipes.