Mar 2, 2009

Panasa Dhodak/ Sweet Jackfruit Idli.


Jackfruit/Panas is grown in abundance in my native. Almost every neighbouring house has atleast one jackfruit tree in their yard. When in season, and the tree is just loaded with these, apart from eating them just the fruit as it is, many a jackfruit dishes get created in the kitchens from curries, fritters, chips to steamed idlis. Today's dish is one such which I used to love next to chips and fritters.

Since AFAM was Jackfruit this month, I thought it would be a great idea to try this Dhodak which is made with ripe jackfruit. I resorted to the canned jackfruit. Its the first time I tried jackfruit in a can, and must say its pretty good. The liquid in the can is more like pure water and not at all syrupy, so that was a plus. I just drained all the liquid and washed the fruit pieces once with water.

Ingredients

Jackfruit pieces, ripe - 1 cup, approx. 7 whole pieces of the fruit.
Grated fresh/frozen coconut - 1/2 cup.
Rava/Semolina - 1 cup.
Grated Jaggery - 1/2 cup.
Salt - a pinch.

Method

- Dry roast the rava/semolina on light heat till a nice aroma comes out of it. Keep it aside to cool.
- Make a COARSE paste by blending together the jackfruit pieces and the grated coconut.
- Mix the ground paste with the jaggery, rava and salt evenly. You may add very little water (not more than 1/2 cup) to adjust the consistency to semi-solid. The consistency of this is NOT like idli batter, its a little drier in this case. Keep this mixture aside for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a dish which you will use in steamer, pat evenly to get a uniform level.
- In a wide vessel with about an inch of water, put another small vessel as a base and keep the dish with the mixture on top of it, such that the mixture is a raised level from the water and not in level with it. (See collage).
- Steam for 15-20 minutes by putting the lid of cooker on, but without its weight/whistle.
- Let it stand for 2 minutes and then cut into pieces and serve hot or cold. Tastes good either way.

Note :

- We usually steam this in one big dish and then cut into squares/rectangles and serve. You can also make this in usual idli stand putting little mixture in each mould.
- The traditional one uses 1 cup of coconut for the quantities mentioned above, but I have used only 1/2 cup.
- The thickness is also made like 1 1/2 inches ( like cake), but mine are slightly thinner here.
- You can serve them with a spoonful of ghee on top or they taste great just by themselves.

This post is my contribution to the AFAM- Jackfruit event hosted by the wonderful Lakshmi at Taste Of Mysore. Thanks for hosting Lakshmi.

AFAM is the brainchild of Maheshwari of Beyond The Usual.

Print this recipe

32 Comments:

FH said...

Slurp!! My ajji makes rope JF dosas. Idlis look wonderful, love the color. Your whole house must smell sweet and yummy now! :)

Finla said...

I have never had this, sounds delicious.
And also i owuld love to have those ripe jackfruit pieces too :-)

Deepa Hari said...

wow...Idli with jackfruit....very creative and sounds new to me...Looks lovely and simple too Maya.

Priya Suresh said...

Excellent dish, very creative!!!

Anonymous said...

A very very new recipe for me! could never think that u can make idli with ripe jackfruits!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

looks wonderful recipe...if i get jackfruit will try.

Manju said...

i was just craving for some jackfruits and here you are with some lovely photographs of this dish!!

Red Chillies said...

We love phanas at home and we had lots when we were in bangalore. Idli looks yummy, Maya.
Maya, tukka hanga phanas khai melta? In Indian grocery?

Vaidehi Bhave said...

Wow.. Idli looks so delicious..thanks for posting..one of my fav. dish..

Cham said...

U know what we never gave a chance to cook this fruit, all of them will be vanish :) Idli sounds much fun and creative! Delicous sweet idlis

Meera said...

Looks delicious, however I must confess that I love raw jackfruit but not the ripe one!!:-D But now that my tastebuds have matured, I think I should give the ripe jackfruit another chance!!:-D

Lakshmi said...

I agree with Cham, we never gave a chance to cook this fruit! but AFAM has given us a chance to do it ;). I am sure gonna try this :) Thanks for the lovely entry dear.

Ashwini said...

Yum Yum Maya..Love this idlis..I remember eating this from the idli plate..My aggi used to make this..I don't remember my mom making:-(..We had a jackfruit tree..so she used to make this often..Ahhh

KonkaniBlogger said...

Thanx to you all, glad you all liked it.

Supriya, I made this with canned jackfruit and got it in Indian store.

Uj said...

Ponsa idli... migel fav.. makka hanga ponosu even canned melna.. I am missing it so much.. Looks perfect

Suparna said...

Hi Maya,

Thanks for the visit.I am a big fan of yours :) love your blog.
The panasa sandan looks so yummy :) will make it soon..hanga anikai panas meltana :(

TC

Unknown said...

i would love to try this beauties when i buy jfs next time..wonderful recipe..bookmarked

Divya Kudua said...

I am seeing so many jackfruit recipes in the blogosphere,thanks to Afam..cant wait to make these once the season starts here..lovely!!

vidhas said...

Maya, I love jackfruit. Your picture looks so tempting. Great recipe and awesome click.

vidhas said...

Jackfruit is my favourite. Great recipe and great click.

Malar Gandhi said...

Jack fruit is my fav' one...anything made out of it, count me in...love this dessert, very inviting...I don't get even canned here!:( Maybe I shld try this when I visit Inida.

Anonymous said...

Wow,never knew about this dish! Will try it out when ripe panas coes in the market

Sharmi said...

I wish I could get to eat fresh jackfruit!! its all canned here:(
lovely and delish idlis:)

Usha said...

I have never heard of jackfruit in idlis, sounds delicious. Definitely a must try recipe !

Pavithra Kodical said...

Are you from Mangalore?Reading your post i thought so..My grandmother used to prepare something similar to this.She used to steam cook in banana leaves.We call that gidde..This recipe sounds great and looks delicious.

Varsha Vipins said...

why u all people torturing me with jackfruit posts..I see it evrywhere..:( n miss it..I don like the sugary canned ones.:(
Maya..Idli with JF is so yum..unique dish da..drool..:)

A_and_N said...

Wow, never knew you could make something out of Jackfruit! Something like this!

Purnima said...

Maya..oh it looks sooo perfect n delicious ! Our side its called phonsa idli..:) I too second Meera..dont know why but never liked phonsa idli, godshey, or the deep fried yummies..chakko fave! I love to hog on the ripe jackfruit though--not the stringy one..firm ones..sweet ones ;) Too much of nakhras! Thks for sharing..shall try to see if my tastebuds wd acquire it now!

A_and_N said...

These are certainly new to me. Rava idlis are as far as I've went with trying new idlis. I could have never though of using Jackfruit.
They look really spongy and delicious :)
A.

Dershana said...

sounds very like our chakka (jackfruit) kumbilappam. the recipe is more or less same except for the semolina being substituted with rice flour. delicious!

Recipeswap said...

This is so different.....looks nice!

Sia said...

i thought i had left a comment here! where did it go?

my ajji used to make delicious dosas using jackfruit. she would spread the batter very thinly on hot griddle and make crisp dosas. we make similar dush but we chop the jackfruits into very small pieces instead of grinding them. lovely, lovely recipe maya.