Jun 30, 2008

Udad Methi or Rosu

This was one of my very first posts. I had posted just the recipe then and not a picture of the dish. Since its a coconut based dish, and I hadn't made it in a long time, I thought of making it today and re-posting it for Suganya's 'AFAM- Coconut' event.

The dish is called Udad Methi/Rosu, and the recipe goes like this..

Ingredients

Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
Udad dal - 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red Byadagi chillies - 6
Jaggery - 1 tsp
Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Bitter gourd ( kaarate ) - 1/2 , cut into small pieces (optional)
Okra ( Bhende ) - 4, cut into big pieces (optional)
Bamboo shoots ( Keerlu ) - abt 10 small pieces ( optional )
Capsicum - 1 Small, cut into small pieces ( optional)
Curry leaves - 4
Salt - to taste
Tamarind - 1 small marble sized ball OR Hog Plums ( Goad Aambaade) - 2, each cut into 4 pieces lengthwise OR Raw Green mango - big chunks of 3/4 a mango.

Method.

- Take little oil in a pan and roast the coriander seeds, Half the quantities of methi seeds, udad dal and hing. Add red chillies to it and roast that also. Grind this mixture with the grated coconut & turmeric by adding little water.The ground masala should be a little coarse in texture.
- Take little oil in pan, add curry leaves, mustard seeds, udad dal, methi seeds and season.
- Then add the cut vegetables, and little water, cover and let them cook.
- Then add the ground masala, jaggery and add salt and adjust water for consistency and boil.
- Udad methi is ready to serve with hot rice.
Note :

- You could use few of these vegetables together or use them all. I have used Okra, Bamboo Shoots and Hog Plums today.
- As mentioned above, since I used Hog Plums/Goad Aambaade, I did not use the tamarind.
- I have not used curry leaves, but highly recommended.
- The ground masala should be slightly coarse in texture and not very fine.
- The final consistency of the dish should be slightly thick, so do not add too much water.



Another entry for you Suganya :)....

Print this recipe

14 Comments:

Bhawana said...

nice entry for the event Maya. added to my favourites. will try once.

Meera said...

ooooh!!! That's so yummy!! I love udad methi. now I am really flying to your place to slurp!!;-)

Shreya said...

Hi Maya, this is a wonderful entry for the event. Very different, I never even knew that bamboo shoots are used in curries! Neither have I used hog plums.

Shreya said...

Hi Maya, this is a wondeful entry for the event.. I never even knew bamboo shoots were used in cooking, neither have I heard of hog plums.. looks really interesting! Apart from tempering urad dals for certain dishes, and it's use in Idli/Dosa batter, this dish actually uses it as a base for the gravy too. my first comment didn't post..dunno y.

Andhra Flavors said...

awesome entry! You have something in my blog:)

Divya Kudua said...

surprise for u in my blog...

http://divyascookbook.blogspot.com/2008/07/memean-award-and-hug.html

vandana rajesh said...

Thks maya for visiting the blog and ur wonderful entry. This is a wonderful entry for afam-coconut.

Archy said...

Hmm, i can smell the gravy !! Love coconut gravy mixed with spices and veg.. nice entry Maya !!

maybelles mom said...

looks delish.

Sum Raj said...

hey maya..luved ur coconut gravy...nice entry for the event..

Lore said...

What a flavourful entry!

ranji said...

hi maya..this dish is very new to me...will definitely give it a try ..looks delicious :).u live in manipal or studied in manipal?i studied in MIT..did u also study thr ?

ranji said...

happy to know u r from MIT too maya:)..i am from the 99 architecture batch ..what abt u ?

Swati said...

Wow..lovely aromatic curry!!