Mar 16, 2008

Biscotti it is...


Deeba, the passionate baker just amazes me each time she posts something. I have her whole blog bookmarked, and will probably take me ages before I try out everything. Yes, everything is just so good and makes me want to try it atleast one time. So, this time I followed her recipe for the Biscotti. I thought I will try just the basic ones first, so made with just cranberries. Now, what can I say, they were too good. So, I made another big batch again next time with pistachios, cranberries and raisins. And this time I put them in the goodie-bags for my son's birthday party. Thanx Deeba :)...

Ingredients:

Granulated sugar - 2/3 cup
Olive Oil – ¼ cup (or canola oil;I used canola)
Eggs - 2
Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Salt -1/8 tsp
Flour - 1 3/4 cups
Unsalted pistachios - 1/2 cup,coarsely chopped
Dried cranberries - 1/2 cup, roughly chopped
Dried Black raisins - 1/4 cup

Method:

- Preheat oven to 300F degrees C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat
sheets.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Beat the oil with the sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs & beat well. Stir in the flour mix.
- Now, gently fold in the the pistachios, cranberries and raisins till its well combined.
- Transfer the dough to your baking sheet lined with parchment paper and form into a log, about 12” X 3 ½”. Since the dough is very sticky, so you may have to dampen your hands to form the log.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until firm to the touch & light golden brown in colour.
- Then, remove from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes.Transfer the log gently to a cutting board and cut diagonally into 2 cm slices with a sharp serrated knife.Reduce oven temperature to 275F.
- Place the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes, turn slices over, and bake for another 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.


- This makes about 20 - 24 biscotti.

Enjoy the yummy biscotti with tea, or just like that.

P.S: This question arose as some of my friends who are vegetarians and would not like to consume eggs wanted to know if there is any option to eggs that can be used in the Biscotti here. If anyone has suggestions, please do let me know :)....

Print this recipe

14 Comments:

Shilpa said...

Very nice pics Maya. They look too good.

Dhivya said...

looks delicious and yummy

Sagari said...

beautiful colors in biscotti maya

Purnima said...

The pics speak volumes abt the biscotti taste!!(No soln for substituting egg, maybe as vegans use egg replacer, or moreso..google vegan biscotti..solution there!)

FH said...

Beautiful color girl, good job! My kids eat Chocolate Biscottis all the the time!:D

1 Egg=2 tbsp Apple sauce
or even better replace Egg with 2 tbsp Soy flour.

Never get that Eggy texture when baked but these work okay too.

Finla said...

I know everytime i am in her place i see so much goddies and one just drool on her baking. Biscoti looks really delicious.

AnuZi said...

The word biscotti brings thoughts of starbucks. But how cool is it that you can make your damn biscotti. Looks yum Maya. Great job!

Meera said...

Gosh, that biscotti looks so delicious...Excellent job!!

Suganya said...

These biscottis are lovely, Maya.

Laavanya said...

Looks beautiful Maya.. my recipe for biscotti is similar too and it's worked well everytime.

KonkaniBlogger said...

Thank you all so much for your nice words.

Asha aqnd Purnima, thanx for the egg subsitution info :)..

Deeba PAB said...

Maya...that biscotti is outstanding. WOW!! It looks so good!! Am glad you enjoyed making it.

Anonymous said...

Maya! I love biscotti and was meaning to search for a recipe. So your timing is just perfect! Will try this out and also check Deepa's recipes.

Egg substitute: For cookies I have substituted each egg with 2 table spoons of cream and half a teaspoon of "tuup." The cookies come out a bit soft, but I love them that way! (and you get the beautiful tuup aroma! :-))

Will let you know how this works.

Anonymous said...

Maya! I love biscotti and was meaning to search for a recipe. So your timing is just perfect! Will try this out and also check Deepa's recipes.

Egg substitute: For cookies I have substituted each egg with 2 table spoons of cream and half a teaspoon of "tuup." The cookies come out a bit soft, but I love them that way! (and you get the beautiful tuup aroma! :-))

Will let you know how this works.