Mar 29, 2008

Veggie Utthapa or Mixed veggie dosa my style..


Ofcourse, this is not the original way Utthapam/Utthapa is made. But I had some Idli batter made with Idli-rava, and wanted to eat something nice without having to steam the idlis and at the same time, make my son eat something with veggies in it also.

So, just added a few veggies to the batter and made the thick dosas ( I called them Uttapam :) ).

So, this is what I did. To the Idli batter (for which I used Udad Dal and Idli Rava in the ratio 1 : 1 ½), I added some the following finely chopped vegetables:
Red onions, tomatoes, spinach, cilantro, green chillies and grated cauliflower. You could add grated carrots or any other vegetables also. Add little salt and mix all well.
Spread the batter on a heated tawa to form a thick round dosa. Drizzle oil on the sides and little on top of the dosa. Cover it and cook one side. Then flip the dosa over and cover and cook on other side.
Serve with chutney or sambar.

The result was delicious and a filling dosa or uttapam or whatever you would like to call it.


This goes out to Srivalli at Cooking4allseasons, who is hosting the DOSA MELA. Thanx for hosting such a wonderful event Srivalli.

Print this recipe

9 Comments:

Purnima said...

Maya's veg-pancake/ veggie-uttaph! Too nice, wd surely click wt kids..must try - the collage truly looks pretty - loved ur adap-ie glass lid!

Purnima said...

Maya, also thanks for your lovely tip on choco chips to b kept in a tsp of flour, it worked this time i baked muffins!! They didnt settle at base but got beatifully adjusted frm top to bottom! Thanks, yaar!

Srivalli said...

Maya..that looks very yummy...you can send this to my dosa mela!

Meera said...

Veggie Uthapam looks great. grated cauliflower is a great idea to sneak in. I am going to try that next time. I liked that collage.

Cynthia said...

So yummy.

Unknown said...

maya..that was a nice idea of including the veggies

Dhivya said...

wow!great entry and healthy too

Anonymous said...

We make uttappams at home with idli batter regularly not with dosa batter like it is normally done. That comes as handy for non-idli liker like me.

Siri said...

Maya - even I like making uttapams with idli batter. they taste delish .. infact better than the original dosa batter..what say?

Lovely pics.

Siri