This might be a common recipe which many make, but I find this as a great comfort food, which is simple to make, very tasty and at the same time can be varied by adding different kinds of vegetables or just plain by itself. Serve it with rotis or have it with dal, its an absolute winner.
Lentils,whole - 1 cup
Onions, chopped - 1 big
Tomatoes, finely chopped - 1 big
Methi leaves, roughly chopped - 1 bunch, approx 2 cups
Ginger, grated - 1 1/2 inch
Garlic cloves, finely chopped - 3 big
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice - 1 tsp (optional)
Salt - to taste
- Wash the lentils and pressure cook with enough water for 2 whistles.
- Heat little oil in a non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, then add onions and fry till translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and fry. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander and cumin powders. Mix well, fry for a min and add the methi leaves. Fry well till methi leaves become tender and wilt.
- Add the cooked dal to this, add water to adjust the consistency, add the garam masala powder and boil till done.
- Add lemon juice(if using) at the end and put off stove and mix well.
- Serve hot with plain or jeera rice or rotis.
I make various versions of this, like using spinach, mustard greens, ridge gourd, bottle gourd, mango or just plain. Its a very quick, healthy and nutritious dal.