The dish is called Udad Methi/Rosu, and the recipe goes like this..
Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
Udad dal - 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red Byadagi chillies - 6
Jaggery - 1 tsp
Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
Bitter gourd ( kaarate ) - 1/2 , cut into small pieces (optional)
Okra ( Bhende ) - 4, cut into big pieces (optional)
Bamboo shoots ( Keerlu ) - abt 10 small pieces ( optional )
Capsicum - 1 Small, cut into small pieces ( optional)
Curry leaves - 4
Salt - to taste
Tamarind - 1 small marble sized ball OR Hog Plums ( Goad Aambaade) - 2, each cut into 4 pieces lengthwise OR Raw Green mango - big chunks of 3/4 a mango.
- Take little oil in a pan and roast the coriander seeds, Half the quantities of methi seeds, udad dal and hing. Add red chillies to it and roast that also. Grind this mixture with the grated coconut & turmeric by adding little water.The ground masala should be a little coarse in texture.
- Take little oil in pan, add curry leaves, mustard seeds, udad dal, methi seeds and season.
- Then add the cut vegetables, and little water, cover and let them cook.
- Then add the ground masala, jaggery and add salt and adjust water for consistency and boil.
- Udad methi is ready to serve with hot rice.
Another entry for you Suganya :)....