Jan 6, 2009

Cabbage & Sprouts Curry..


I tasted this cabbage curry at a friends place and thought it was a very nice way of making cabbage curry. She had used boiled chana dal in the curry which gave a nice touch to the curry. I didn't have soaked chana dal when I decided to make this curry, so instead I used lentil sprouts. I also added Meera's Goda Masala that she had sent to me. Thanx to you Meera, I have used it in so many daily curries and enjoyed it.

This curry came out good and I will making it more often when I have cabbage at hand.

Ingredients

Cabbage, chopped fine - 2 cups
Carrot, diced small - 1 no (approx. 3/4 cup)
Peas - 1/2 cup
Lentil Sprouts - 1 cup
Fresh/Frozen grated coconut - 1 tbsp
Green Chillies, slit lengthwise - 3
Curry leaves - 4
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Goda Masala - 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt - to taste

Method

- Cook the lentil sprouts with about 1/2 cup of water in a microwave for 4-5 mins. Drain any extra water.
- Meanwhile, heat about 2 tsps of oil in a pan, add the mustard and cumin seeds and once they crackle, add the curry leaves and green chillies.
- Next, add the cabbage, carrot and peas to the pan. Add the turmeric powder,goda masala & salt and mix everything well. Cover the pan and let it cook with stirring and checking once or twice.
- Once the veggies are almost done, add the cooked lentil sprouts and coconut, mix and cook till done.
- Serve as a side with rice and curry or with rotis.

Note :
- Do not add water while cooking. The moisture given out by the veggies will be enough to get them cooked.
- This dish tastes good dry, so if there is still lot of water, once the veggies are almost done, cook with pan uncovered until the water evaporates.
- My friend had made without goda masala, and it tasted great too, so if you don't have it, make it without it.

Print this recipe

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Maya, this looks good, particularly with the goda masala;
Also very nutritious!

since this is a dry dish, would it be better to call it a sabzi or a upkari, rather than a curry. Though addition of the goda masala does quality it as a curry, or perhaps a TalasaNa.

Best and thanks for sharing
Arun

Purnima said...

Lovely combo..the sprouts n cabbage, new to me too! Looks amazingly refreshing! Meera ko daily yaad karne ka accha tarika hai, right? Well taken snap, Maya!

Finla said...

I love thorans like this and this looks yummy delicious.
Wishing you and your loved ones a very Happy 2009

Meera said...

Glad to know that you are enjoying Goda Masala. I sure am enjoying your Kumta masala!!:-D

Your cabbage curry looks nice. I haven't cooked it with Goda Masala. So will surely try it soon. Thanks for sharing.

FH said...

Hullo dear Maya, look who is back?! ;D

Adding sprouts is great idea, looks delicious, must be yummy with chapatis, will try.

Trupti said...

Meera, curry looks very delicious and healthy too

KonkaniBlogger said...

Thanx Arun, yes it is very nutritious and healthy. And you're rite, its more of an Upkari :)..

Lol,Purnima, Meera ki yaad tho zaroor aati hai, bahut saari cheezon se..

Thanx HC, now that u mentioned, yest, its a thoran..

Thanx Meera, I used your other 2 masalas also, and had taken pics too long back, but lost everything in system crash. I still have some masala, will make again..

Yaay Asha, Welcome back..Just visited your space and what a bounty of veggies you ave there..

Thanx Trupti, but oops, its Maya :D..

Ashwini said...

wow Maya, cabbage with lentils looks like a great combination. Yesterday i made cabbage curry..may be I should have waited one more day.. :-)

Lakshmi said...

Maya, nimagu hosa varshada shubhashayagalu. sprouts playa bhala chennagide, olle tasty and healthy palya for chapathis.

notyet100 said...

nice version of cabbage,...

Malar Gandhi said...

Sounds like a very healthy recipe, like it. Thanks for the comments at my blog, I hardly keep a track on my diet blog'. I am glad that you liked them! Wish you bump into my food blog tho'.

www.kitchentantra.com

Premyscakes said...

yummy recipe maya, first time here. cheers.