Feb 7, 2008

Dharwad Pedha..


My parents have moved to Dharwad about 2 years ago. Dharwad is famous for the Karnataka University. Otherwise, its a very quiet place with pleasant weather. This was the first time I stayed in Dharwad for a long time, and must admit that I was quite bored. I was complaining to my parents that they shouldn't have moved back from Bangalore. Yes, lots to do in Bangalore and ofcourse all my friends are there too. But, what makes me blog about Dharwad now ?? Aha, there lies the point. The very famous Dharwad Pedhas :). Those of you who have eaten them before know what I'm talking about, and those who haven't, you must taste them when you get a chance. They are absolutely fantastic and you just can't stop at one :)...

Dharwad Pedhas are available mostly everywhere made by different Sweet shops. They look the same in appearance, but the taste nowhere matches the ones available in Dharwad itself. This time when I was there, I went to the market with my Dad early afternoon just before I was leaving to come here. So I needed some Pedhas. We were caught in traffic in one of the lanes. It was some festival that day too. I was worried as to what happened and hoping not to see some bad accident ahead or so. My dad just smiled at me and pointed out far ahead. LOL, it was a queue of people leading to the Babusingh Thakur Pedha Store. Yes, people were actually waiting out in the hot sun, waiting for this particular sweet to get ready as the whole stock from morning was exhausted already. This store is supposed to be the best. I was surprised at the crowd but then thought, yes, well worth the effort :)....

So, after all that, don't think I actually have a recipe for the Dharwad Pedhas here (I sure would like to get a recipe for them someday). No, its just that I got a parcel from my Dad this week through one of our friends here who had been to India. Yes, thanx to my Dad and the friend, we relished on those Pedhas and I thought I would give you a glimpse of them too :)....
In my house right now, its a competition going on between the three of us. Each of us just wants the maximum ;). If you ever in Dharwad, don't forget the Pedhas...

Print this recipe

22 Comments:

bee said...

http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/dharwad/41669.htm

they look like the mathura pedhas we used to buy from mathura dairy in bombay. i adored them.

Unknown said...

Maya I am drooling....Dharwad Pedas from dharwad is the best.

Pragyan said...

You got me hooked on this, inspite of the fact that I just had some fresh besan laddoos :( What is this pedha made up of?

Purnima said...

Maya..I m just drooling bucketful here :D, I have had fair share of vacations in Dharwad as a kid, and gobbled on these a loooooooot! Their taste is out of this world! U r lucky to have these!!!!!

DK said...

Oh never knew of this before! You got me curious on this one! Your pic got me drooling! Google here i come :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Maya,
oh god... i am drooling too. I love this pheda...
Nice blog.

Archana Doshi said...

looks delicious. I am not so fond of sweets, but this one surely got me drooling. I stay in Bangalore, will look out for these peda's when i go to a sweet shop. Thanks for sharing

FH said...

OMG!!! I went to High school in Hubli, and used to go Dharwad often to buy these. There is one famous guy who sells out early in the morning because of his famous Pedas. They are mouthwatering!:))

Shilpa said...

When I saw this post header, I thought u figured out how to make them Maya. Please please post it if you ever figure out. They are the best. Yes, I have tasted these in different places and no one can match actual Dharwad peda taste.
You got a parcel....lucky you :)

Seema said...

Parcel of Pedas! Lucky girl.. enjoy :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanx for the link Bee. I got the exact same box too :)..The mathura pedhas look similar to these but not sure of the taste as i've never had them.

You are right Madhu..

Pragyan, its made up of milk and sugar.. Don't know more than that ;)..

Glad you know what they taste like Purnima..Wish I could give some rite here..

DK, if you ever come across these any time, be sure to grab them :)..

Gowri, Thanx for visiting and your kind comment.

Archana, Thanx for visiting my blog. I think Mishra sweets in B'lore will have them, but not the same taste as the ones available in Dharwad. Do try them..

Asha, its Babusingh Thakur, the famous guy. Thats the line to his shop I was talking about.

Shilpa, hopefully someday I get a recipe on how to make them. Yes, you won't believe what an effort the people went thru to get them here, but the rate at which we are eating them is crazy. Can't seem to stop ;)...

Seema, Thanx..You grab some too :)..

Sagari said...

mayaaaaa pedas looks just deleciousss

Cynthia said...

Now you've left me wanting the recipe!

Anonymous said...

These are my absolute favs. Every time, yea every year during my b'days i distributed these dharwad pedas to my friends :) I love them. Hmmm.. now i want one !

DEEPA said...

when i am going to take one of them from the plate !!!

Meera said...

pedas look wonderful. dharwadi pedhas and belgam kunda - both used to be my favorites! :-)

Pravs said...

i have tasted dharwad pedha...and like you said nothing like them. I miss these pedha's.

Swati said...

Delicious pedhas here!! Will surely try them whenever I get a chance to visit Dhadwad now...

EC said...

ohhh.i thought u have the recipe dear..anyways, my uncle gets these for me from hubli that is a twin city of dharwad..got to eat a whole box some time back

Anonymous said...

I live in Washington DC and my father lives in Dharwad.

I visit him often, arriving there with one suitcase and leaving with TWO!

The second one is filled with Dharwad Pedhas! My extended family all over the US is eating them within 2-3 days of being made!

Lots of Imitators but there is only one original. Babusingh Thakur has kept the recipe as closely guarded as Coke!

As a kid, my uncle told me that you start by slow boiling the milk for a long time. Step Two? Anyone?

Anonymous said...

hmm... some facts about Dharwad pedhas.
1. They have got Lord Wellington award .
2. They are being made from 75-100 years.
3.got many awards like Indira priyadarshini,Rajiv Gandhi award etc.
4.the latest box cover contains award list.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God I am here in US and salivating about dharwad pedas... I am soooo crazy about them that, while travelling via Dharwad, I bought a pack all for myself to have it through journey stubborn enough to share one with others...I wanted it all for myself!!! Now I so badly want to make and have one...Can you please post recipe