Feb 6, 2008

Vatanyachi Paatal Bhaji (Peas Curry)



This is a most versatile kind of bhaji or gravy. A paatal ( which means of liquid consistency) bhaji which goes great with dosas or rotis, can be mixed with rice or can be had with just plain bread or paav. Many of the small food places or canteens in Goa, will serve a similar(note: this is not the same ) kind of subji with their ever famous Paav(bread). If you ever go to visit the temples in Goa, don’t forget to enter the small hotels there. They serve the most amazing food.
Another way you can use this curry is as a base for chaats at home. If not in a mood for making a whole chaat, just cut up some onions, tomatoes, and cilantro, spread over the curry, put some Shev over it and enjoy a wholesome snack.
So, here goes the multi-purpose vatanyachi bhaji.

Ingredients

Dried Green peas – 1 cup, soaked in water overnight
Potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes – 2 medium
Onions, finely chopped – 1 big
Tomato, chopped – 1 medium
Garlic cloves, finely chopped – 2
Ginger, finely chopped – ½ inch piece
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp
Coconut Milk – 2 tbsp (optional)
Lemon Juice – 1 tsp (optional)
Salt – to taste
Oil

Method

- Wash the soaked peas, pressure cook with little salt upto 1 whistle. Keep aside.
- Heat little oil in a wide pan, add the onions to it and fry till translucent. Add the chopped garlic and ginger and fry for 2 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, fry. Then add the chopped potato pieces, mix well, add little salt and water. Cover the pan and cook on medium heat till potatoes are cooked but not mushy.
- Add the boiled peas to the pan, and add the turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala powder. Mix well and adjust salt and water to get required liquid consistency.
- Add the coconut milk (if using), and mix well. Switch off the gas. Add the lime juice (if using) and mix.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice or dosas or any of the ways mentioned above.


Vatanyachi bhaji with Udada Pole (Udad dal Dosa)

Print this recipe

12 Comments:

Suganya said...

I just finished shelling a lb of peas. I will make this with fresh ones.

Purnima said...

Maya, the pattal bhaaji looks tempting..(coconut milk added is new to me)I have had fair share of this at home with pav, also restuarants serve it as 'Misal' in Mumbai with all the toppings and farsaan!Its one of my favvvveeeeee!Mmmm..tonda udda yetta udgaas kornu! Tks for sharing..one of these days I shall make it.

Sia said...

this is such a wonderful and versatile recipe. i dont keep dry peas in my pantry. i wonder will it taste equally good with fresh peas?

Shilpa said...

I simply love this bhaji. I make it a little different though, have to try out your version

Finla said...

I am also going to try them but then with frozen peas

FH said...

YUM! Looks like a great side dish for Parathas. Good one Maya, thanks girl!:))

Pooja said...

that looks yummy !
aloo matar is my all time favorite too . you can send it to sia's event on monsoonspice.com too Maya.

Pooja V said...

I am frm goa and your bhaji reminds me of those eateries u mentioned. Looks great !

Trupti said...

I haven't eat this curry from long time.. Now looking at this picture ...I am hungry :)

Meera said...

That patal bhaji looks so yummy. The picture is inviting me to dunk in a paav right now! ;-)
Really delicious.

Archana Doshi said...

peas and potatoes are a great combination and gravy using this or dry is typically made. but I like the addition of coconut milk and lemon, absolutely delicious, i am sure it gives a stew like flavor. I am sure this must have tasted great with dosa's. Now i am dreaming of aapams - a keralite dish which is had with stews as well. Thanks for sharing, as next time i make peas and potatoes i will remember to add the coconut milk and lemon as well
Archana

KonkaniBlogger said...

Suganya, probably you would have made it already before my comment here. Fresh peas would taste great, but the texture and taste to the dish would be different I think.

Yes Purnima, forgot to mention the famous Misal :)..Love it..

Sia and Happy cook, the taste and texture of the whole dish with the fresh ones would be different :(. Let me know how if you make it.

Shilpa, will look for ur version in ur site :)..

Thanx Asha :)..

Thanx Pooja..

Pooja V, true, my mouth starts watering too when I think of those places in Goa.

Eat it up Trupti :)..

Meera, Thank you :)..

Yes Archana, tasted great with dosas. Try it sometime..Let me know how you liked it.