Aug 22, 2008

Banana Buns/Mangalore Buns..

Famous by the name of Mangalore Buns, I've tasted and had these most in Goa only. Whenever we go to Goa to visit our Kuldevata( family God) temple, this is on our breakfast menu at the temple canteens. Most of the small canteens in and around the temples in Goa have the Buns-Bhaji or Buns-Chutney on their menu. The ones where we have are really to die for, perfectly and evenly golden brown all over, sweetish, they serve it with a simple chutney, but you would care less for the chutney as they taste great just by themselves.

My mom makes these only rarely at home. Maida/All-purpose flour is used traditionally, but my Aayi and MIL both use wheat flour (atta) when making this.

So, here goes..

Ingredients

Over-ripe Bananas, peeled and fully mashed - 1/2 cup
Buttermilk - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp. ( My mom sometimes uses Ajwain/Carom seeds instead of cumin also).
Wheat flour - approx. 2 1/2 cups ( Decide on the amount you need to get a stiff dough. This is the quantity that I used up).
Baking Soda - 1/8 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - to deep fry

Method

- In a bowl, take the mashed banana, add the buttermilk, sugar, cumin seeds, baking soda and salt and mix together nicely.
- Slowly add the wheat flour little by little and make into a stiff dough.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for about 3 hrs.
- Now, make small round balls out of it, roll slightly thick to the size of a puri.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry in a kadhai and drop in the puris. As it puffs up on one side turn and let it fry on other side till golden brown. Fry this on medium heat, else the inside will remain uncooked.
- Serve with chutney or enjoy just plain. Make sure to consume it while its still hot.

Note : These are supposed to be made sweet, so you would need to add more sugar.. However, I always like them slightly less sweet and as I always serve them with chutney or chutney pudi, I add less sugar.
I'd like to send these to the following two events..




Thank-you Lata and Sheetal..


Print this recipe

12 Comments:

Meera said...

I am not sure if my comment went through or not. So writing again.
I love buns. but haven't eaten them in ages. They also go by a quaint name - Bhubhusroti - don't know why!! It's a coincidence that I was just telling my mom that I feel like eating buns.

Tried your Raspberry Kulfi. Will post tomorrow for MBP - Fruits. Can I request something? In the desserts section (drop down list box) of your right side bar, I do not see raspebrry kulfi.

Srivalli said...

They look awesome Maya..ever since I have seen this, planning to make..but never came abt...will have to make it sometime..thanks for sharing!

notyet100 said...

hey thy look delicious,..

Swati said...

Hi Maya

These sound awesome..The whole thing about Goa, temples and the buns makes it sound so traditional and exotic!!

Anisheetu said...

The buns are looking very yummy... thanks for the entry... can u plz send in the pic also....

lubnakarim06 said...

Looks delicious.

Pallavi said...

Hi Maya, This is very cool.. You have interesting recipes on your blog. Thanks for your comments on mine about the grilled chicken.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Its funny, but I have been living in Goa and never seen this.
Looks like I have been looking in the wrong places!
I shall search these buns out. They look good.

Sangeeth said...

hey cool....now this is in my todo list...great entry for the events

Anonymous said...

I want Buns!
Now! Now!
:-)
Yumm!

which is your kuladevata?
Thanks for sharing!

Dibs said...

came over from Lakshmi's blog. Nice recipe. I had a konkani friend who used to make buns out of fermented maida and curd!

Raksha said...

My hubby loves this. Thanks for the recipe :)