Aug 18, 2008

Barik Shev/ Thin Shev

I had noted down this recipe the last time that my MIL had made it. This Barik Shev can be used in a million things as a topping, from upmas to pohas to various chats or just plain by itself.

It doesn't take long to make it too. Only the making of the mix is a slightly messy job coz its very sticky.

So here goes..

Ingredients

Besan/Gram flour - 3 cups
Water - 1 cup
Ajwain/Carom seeds - 1/2 tsp
Hing/Asafoetida - a pinch (This is optional).
Salt - to taste
Oil - to fry.

Method

- Take the mentioned quantity of water in a wide mixing bowl, dissolve the salt and the hing in it. Add the carom seeds also to it.
- Add the besan also to the water and mix it nicely to get the desired mix.
- Heat oil in a deep frying kadhai.
- Grease the insides and the plate of the mould used to make shev( use the plate with the tiniest holes), add the mix in it and close.
- Now pressing the mould, drop the mixture into hot oil.
- Fry on both sides and take out on paper towel.
- Once cooled completely, store in air-tight containers.

I would like to send in this entry to EC's WYF : Colour in Food, for the colour YELLOW. Thankyou for hosting EC.

Also, check out the Theek Kare/ Khara Shev I had posted earlier.

Print this recipe

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been planning to make these for long time. Some how never got time. The photos are tempting me to try.

Indian Khana said...

Sev looks so gud ..so the colour...perfect yellow! very gud entry dear.

notyet100 said...

wow looks so yummy...nd crispy..

Bhawana said...

perfect. shall I send youmy address wud you mind sending me some. tooooooo goooooooooood. feeling like having with tea.

Sangeeth said...

great entry dear...i made them few days back too...luv it

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Same snack planning to do this week for Krishnaashtami... looks nice adding ajwain is nice....

Uma said...

delicious sev Maya! you have inspired me to make some!

Meera said...

I am drooling here. They look awesome.

anudivya said...

Looks so clean and simple... I think you have a great knack for making these things.

Divya

Red Chillies said...

No matter how many times I try, I dont get this correctly. The shev becomes very 'ghatt' (hard). Do you put in hot oil after the batter is made?

KonkaniBlogger said...

Thank you all friends..Thats very encouraging of you all, and glad you liked it..

Red Chillies, No, I don't put in hot oil after the batter is made. Maybe ur batter is becoming hard or stiff ?? Try makng it little sticky (thats how mine was), if you see the pic of the dough, its sticky..Hope u try and turns out good for u :)..

EC said...

We just made this for gokulasthami...but with a little addition of rice flour to make it a bit more crispy...thanks for participating