Well, I made a little variation this time to the Kaandya Bhakri/Onion Rotti, which is a regular breakfast item in Konkani homes. In my kitchen, I also make it for meals though :)..
Well, the recipe is the same, except that this time I used Brown Rice and added Flax seeds powder( just powdered the regular flax seeds in a grinder) to make it more healthy.
The inspiration for using flax seeds comes from Meera's Thali Peethzza :)..So, thanx Meera.
Brown Basmati Rice- 1 cup
Flax seeds powder - 1 tbsp
Onions - 2 small
Coconut - 2 tbspns
Sugar - 3/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
- The previous night, wash the rice and dry it out on a cloth.
- The next morning, grind it in the mixie and make a coarse powder of it.
- Add the coconut, onions, flax seed powder, sugar and salt to the rice powder and add water to make a thick consistency.
- Spread on the tava(thick) and fry on both sides with oil.
- Fry slightly more towards dark brown. Will be crispy and better in taste that way.
- It tastes great just by itself, but you could serve it with some chutney or chutney pudi if you wish to.
You can either make it less crispy like this picture below or crispier and browner like the first picture in this post. However, the crispier one tastes better and is a personal favourite.
I would like to send in this entry to EC's WYF : Colour in Food. According to her rules and description for the colour Brown, I thought this post would be a good fit. So hopefully, this qualifies for it. Thankyou EC for hosting such a lovely theme.
Print this recipe