Aug 19, 2008

Batatya Pathal Bhaji/Potato curry using Phova Pitto..


This is one of my favourite accompaniments for dosas and rotis. Its so simple and easy but just finger-licking good in taste. Tastes great with bread or even plain Paej/Kanji.

So here goes..

Ingredients

Potatoes, peeled and diced small - 2 medium ( I used Red Potatoes)
Onion, finely chopped - 1 small
Tomato, finely chopped - 1 small
Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1 tsp
Masalya Pitto/Phova pitto - 3/4 - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Cilantro - to garnish
Oil

Method

- Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, once they sizzle, add the onions and fry only till transparent.
- Add the tomatoes, fry till they soften.
- Add the potatoes, turmeric powder, salt and the Phova Pitto. Add enough water to cook the potatoes, cover the pan and cook. The quantity of water should be such that after the potatoes have cooked fully, there should be liquid gravy left in the pan.
- Finally, when done, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rotis or dosas or bread.

Another way to enjoy this curry is simply by topping it with some Shev and eating it as a snack. Tastes just great..

I'd like to send this as my contribution to the CurryMela hosted by Srivalli of Cooking 4 All Seasons. Thankyou Srivalli..









A few days back, dear LG of Taste of Mysore passed me this BFF-Blogging Friends Forever Card. Thanx so much LG for thinking of me and passing this on to me. Really honoured :).

I'd like to pass this on to these wonderful bloggers..

1. Meera of EnjoyIndianFood

2. Purnima of FantasyCookBlog

3. Shilpa of AayisRecipes

4. Vanamala of Nalapaka

5. Seema of MyRandap

6. Ranji of Ranji'sKitchenCorner

Print this recipe

7 Comments:

Lakshmi said...

curry looks delish..nice one and let us cherish the blogging bond :)

Meera said...

I love this curry. and your phovva pitto is just too good to be true!

Congrats on your award.
Thanks for thinking about me for the award. It means a lot.

Shilpa said...

Thank you so much for passing on the award to me Maya.
I love this bhaji. V loves it with chapathis. Yumm. That reminds me, I have to make some phova pitto.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Thank you so much maya..well curry looks nice

-Mala

Uma said...

the curry looks so delicious and mouth-watering! Congrats on the award Maya!

Indian Khana said...

Curry looks real yum...picture is so nice...congrats for the award

Seema said...

Curry looks yum yum! Congrats on your Award & Thank u so much for thinking of me :-) I have not been able to blog much this month, will be back next month in full spirits!