Raw green mango pieces gives it a nice tang, roughly chopped mustard leaves makes it wholesome, and the garlic tempering makes it just complete. Also, I have used Red lentils/Masoor dal, which cooks really fast. Now, can't get better than that rite ? Do try it to see what I mean.
Red Lentils/Masoor Dal - 1/2 cup
Mustard Greens, roughly chopped( excluding the tough stems) - 1 cup
Green mango pieces with skin, cut into big chunks - 1/2 cup (approx. 1/2 of a big size green mango)
- Wash the lentils and pressure cook with the mustard greens, onions, green chillies, salt and enough water for 1 whistle.
- Once done and the pressure drops, transfer the contents from the cooker into a pan, bring to a a boil, add turmeric powder and jeera powder. Add water if needed to adjust the consistency, and adjust salt at this point.
- In a separate small pan, heat oil, add the sliced garlic and fry till it turns light brown.
- Now, pour this over the cooked dal mixture and cover the pan immediately.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis and a side curry.