I don't know what I was thinking when I said yes to Divit's teacher for bringing some goodies for the 'Polar Express' Pajama Party they were having in class. I accepted thinking I could always buy some cookies from the store, just in case. She had requested that they shouldn't have any frosting, icing, some kinds of nuts, or too much of the sugary stuff. I have baked just the simple cookies before, not the christmasy or fancy ones. So I knew it was goin to be a hard task. I had sometime, and thought might as well try something. And what a journey of disasters I had before I finally was able to make these. I wouldn't call them great looking, but were very good taste wise. And as I was concentrating on small cookies with no frosting or nuts, I thought the kids would love these.
So, I took the basic dough recipe after looking at some books and online, and went ahead with this.
1/2 cup sugar (125 ml )
1/2 cup butter, softened ( 125 ml )
1 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 colors of food color ( red, green , yellow )
1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour ( 312 ml )
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Combine the sugar, butter , egg and vanilla in a bowl and beat well until light and
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and add to the above mixture.Beat or mix with hand till a soft dough forms.
- Now, divide the dough into 3 portions. Add a different colour ( few drops ) to each portion of the dough and knead till the color is uniform.
- Then, dust the counter top with flour, roll out the first portion of dough. Then, separately, roll the other 2 portions also. Layer the rolled out portions one on top of the other and roll all 3 together to form a cylindrical log.
- Then, cut into thick slices and roll out each slice. You will get a marble effect now, like in pic below.
- Cut out into desired shapes and repeat the process for remaining dough.
- Line the baking sheet with wax paper, put the cut out cookie shapes with enough distance between them.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350F for 8 to 10 mins or until set.
- Take out and cool on wire rack completely before storing.
P.S: I sprinkled a teeny-tiny bit of sugar on them after removing from the oven.
A sincere effort towards baking, so sending these over to Susan for the Eat Christmas Cookie Event