Dec 20, 2007

Cookies with Marble-effect


I don't know what I was thinking when I said yes to Divit's teacher for bringing some goodies for the 'Polar Express' Pajama Party they were having in class. I accepted thinking I could always buy some cookies from the store, just in case. She had requested that they shouldn't have any frosting, icing, some kinds of nuts, or too much of the sugary stuff. I have baked just the simple cookies before, not the christmasy or fancy ones. So I knew it was goin to be a hard task. I had sometime, and thought might as well try something. And what a journey of disasters I had before I finally was able to make these. I wouldn't call them great looking, but were very good taste wise. And as I was concentrating on small cookies with no frosting or nuts, I thought the kids would love these.

So, I took the basic dough recipe after looking at some books and online, and went ahead with this.

Ingredients

1/2 cup sugar (125 ml )
1/2 cup butter, softened ( 125 ml )
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 colors of food color ( red, green , yellow )
1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour ( 312 ml )
1/4 tsp cardamom powder

Method

- Combine the sugar, butter , egg and vanilla in a bowl and beat well until light and
fluffy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and add to the above mixture.Beat or mix with hand till a soft dough forms.
- Now, divide the dough into 3 portions. Add a different colour ( few drops ) to each portion of the dough and knead till the color is uniform.
- Then, dust the counter top with flour, roll out the first portion of dough. Then, separately, roll the other 2 portions also. Layer the rolled out portions one on top of the other and roll all 3 together to form a cylindrical log.


- Then, cut into thick slices and roll out each slice. You will get a marble effect now, like in pic below.

- Cut out into desired shapes and repeat the process for remaining dough.
- Line the baking sheet with wax paper, put the cut out cookie shapes with enough distance between them.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350F for 8 to 10 mins or until set.
- Take out and cool on wire rack completely before storing.

P.S: I sprinkled a teeny-tiny bit of sugar on them after removing from the oven.

A sincere effort towards baking, so sending these over to Susan for the Eat Christmas Cookie Event

Print this recipe

13 Comments:

FH said...

Beautiful festive cookies!!:))
Happy Holidays Maya, enjoy. I will see on the 1st again.

bee said...

you have a beautiful blog. have added you to our blogroll.

Finla said...

They indeed look so colourfull

Suganya said...

Divit must be proud and happy.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Maya, I think they look wonderful--so colorful and festive! I'm sure the children (and the teacher) loved them! Thanks for submitting them. Cheers, Susan

Valli said...

The cookies are soo yummy. thanks for visiting my blog maya. You already have so many recipes up - great going :)

Elizabeth said...

What a good idea to add cardamom powder.

How do you deal with the extra pieces after punching out the shapes with the nice pinwheel effect? Don't the colours start blending together to make brown?

-Elizabeth

P.S. We make coloured cookies as well, using the dough like playdough. We evenly divide the batter before adding the flour so it's easier to mix in the food colouring. The dough gets handled less before the mega handling for making the cookies.

Siri said...

Very colorful and cute cookies Maya..:) Nice blog dear. Keep up the good work..:D

~ Siri

Meera said...

They look so beautiful! Good job, Maya

KonkaniBlogger said...

Thank you Asha..

Bee, Thanx for visiting my site and adding me to ur blogroll.

Happy cook, Thank you.

Suganya, yes was very happy. His teacher had to tell him to calm down as he went on telling each kid his Mom made the cookies ;)..

Susan, Thanks, Yes, they all liked it ..

Valli, glad u visited my blog too..hope u keep coming..

Elizabeth, yes, for 2 -3 times the color was fine, but luckily very little dough was left when it started getting brown. I think slicing the dough and cutting helped a little. Will try ur method of making dough separetly next time..Yes, less handling, will turn out better am sure. Thanx for visiting and your tips :)..

Siri, thanx for stopping by :)..

Meera, thanx to you too..

Happy holidays to all u guys..

Kiriel du Papillon said...

I can just imagine the delight with which the children would have received these gorgeous cookies.
A wonderfully imaginative way to brighten up a simple sweet!

nita said...

A gr8 effort frm u vayani....i cant imagine myself being put into somthng like this.... Cookies are jus lookng gr8,feels like grabbing some ::))

Anonymous said...

These cookies are gorgeous, and you make it seem easy! I'm excited to give it a try.