Dec 16, 2007

Sungta Kholu ( Prawn/Shrimp Pickle )




When it comes to shrimp, its hard for me decide which dish I like the best, coz I just love shrimp. But the sungta kholu as per mom's recipe is an all time favourite and a hit among all our relatives also. We normally use the small shrimp which are very tasty compared to the bigger ones. Ofcourse, cleaning them is really time consuming and end up very little also. But its all worth it, what say ?? But, luckily, this time I found the tiny shrimp and they were cleaned also. So, didn't miss an opportunity and went ahead and bought them and made the spiiiiiiicy Kholu. Yes, its a must try for those who love spice and shrimp.

So here it is...

Ingredients

Small shrimp - 1/2 pound, cleaned.
Red Onion - 1 big, finely chopped
Garlic - about 6-7 cloves (since the cloves are big here). Else with indian garlic its about 12 cloves
Ginger - 1 inch, thinly chopped
Red chilli powder - 2 tsps or more, if you can handle the heat.
Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind pulp - 2 tsps. I have used tamarind water. See note below.
Curry leaves - 4
Oil - 2 tblspns
Salt - as per taste

Method

- Wash the shrimp and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the finely chopped onions,curry leaves, ginger and garlic and fry well.
- Add the prawns to the kadhai, fry till color changes and the shrimp are boiled.
- Then add the haldi powder, red chilli powder, tamarind pulp, and salt and mix well and cook till done.
- Serve hot with rice and dal.

Note
- This should not be very watery. So add only little water if required to adjust the consistency.
- For the tamarind water, I soaked abt 50 gms tamarind in water and then extracted the pulp from it. Apart from this, I have not added any more water.



Print this recipe

4 Comments:

Finla said...

In kerala too the make prawn pickles.
Looks really delicious

Archy said...

Hi..
Ru konkani... nice to meet u..
I'm from mangalore.. so i knw konkani.. nice blog an recipes.

I used to like this when my mom used to prepare specially for me..
As now i dont eat nonveg, as my husband doesnt..!! mouth watering picture ha..

Anonymous said...

Thank U Happy Cook...

ThanK U Archana for visiting..Yes, I'm konkani :)..Do keep stopping by..

Unknown said...

wow i love prawns(shrimp) pickle....yours looks truly divine:) First time on your blog, loved it:) I am also a konkani, nice meeting you!