Dec 7, 2007

Pineapple Jam or Ananasa Jam


Pineapple Jam or Ananasa Jam as we call it, has been my favourite for a long long time now.
I remember back in college days, I was studying away from home. So whenever I would come home on vacation, Aayi would prepare a lot of this jam for me to take back, so I could have it with chapatis or bread or dosas ( though Aayi knew that me and my room-mates never made anything at home. We had joined a mess ). The jam would get over just like that in a jiffy. It would be finger-licking delicious. Ahhh, those were the days :) ....

So now that I am here, I had asked her how to make it, coz I see pineapples in abundance here and we hardly bring it home, coz my son doesn't really eat it so much. Yes, it all revolves him, not always ;) . I thought of making this jam and giving him a taste of it, and he absolutely loved it. Only drawback being, he eats just the jam and not the dosas or chapatis that I give with it :( . So, I have to hide it from him now, and give only occasionally :).

So, after all the stories, here goes the recipe, which I never knew was sooooo simple :) .....Also, Shilpa has given the Paank ( liquidy or syrupy version ) here.

Ingredients

Pineapple - 1
Sugar - 3/4 to 1 cup
Elaichi / Cardamom crushed and powdered - 10

Method
- Remove the skin from the pineapple, even the black eyes on the outer surface preferably should be removed. Cut it into very small pieces. Preserve the juice also that comes out while cutting it.
- In a big kadhai, add the cut pieces with the juice, add the sugar and cook.
- Keep stirring once in a while.
- Then, when you feel, it has got the desired consistency, add the elaichi powder, mix well and remove from flame.
- Jam is ready. Let it cool, then put in a container, store in the fridge.
- Goes great with chapatis, dosas or better, just by itself :) ....



Note : Try eating it when its really warm, its amazing.
Goes great with chapatis, dosas or better, just by itself :) ....

Print this recipe

5 Comments:

Meera said...

Nice recipe, Maya! I love the header of your blog.

Pravs said...

Nice write up and a great looking jam. I have some jam recipes in my blog too. Thanks for coming by.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming by and all your kind words Meera and Pravs :)..Do keep visiting.

Lakshmi said...

Came back to say Jam looks lovely. Will try it.

Paru ... said...

Maya,

The pineapple jam looks very inviting.. Will surely try it out since i have been having tons of pineapple at home..

I am a fairly new blogger as well with authentic namma karnataka food..(www.brindavanrecipes.blogspot.com)

happy hols everybody