Print this recipe
This being the holiday season, its all sugar and yummy delights all around. I too wanted to get a feel of it, but was thinking of trying to make it with some less used ingredients as well those which we can eat a little guilt-free. So, I tried these Oatmeal delights and added an unusual ingredient ( atleast I think its unusual ). That ingredient is Dried Bananas. Its called Sukkeli in Konkani (Sukke- Dry and Keli - Bananas). As far as I know, it is only available in Sirsi and Siddapur in North Kanara. It is eaten just by itself like a snack ( same as peanuts or other dry-fruits ) and is very nutritious. Since I had these sitting for sometime now, I thought of combining a few things and trying out some treat. And I was very happy with the outcome :).....So here goes...
Rolled oats - 1/2 cup, soaked in about 3/4 to 1 cup water for 20 mins
All-purpsoe flour - 1 1/2 cups
Wheat flour - 1/4 cup
Dried Banana - 12-15 pieces, soaked in little water for 5 mins.
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Softened unsalted Butter - 3 tblspns.
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Finely chop the soaked dried banana pieces and keep aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar nicely little creamy and fluffy.
- Sieve the all-purpose flour together with the baking powder. Add it to the sugar and butter mix.
- Drain out any extra water if any, from the oatmeal and add to the above mix. Also add the wheat flour. Mix all well.
- Then add the chopped banana pieces and the vanilla essence and fold in well.
- Grease a baking sheet and with a spoon, scoop out little mounds of the mix on the sheet with enough spacing.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400F for about 15 mins, or till u see the top lighlty browned.
- Take off the sheet from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 mins, before you bite into them :)...
Oatmeal, wheat flour and the dried banana make it very healthy and the dried banana pieces add a very chewy and caramel kind of taste to it.
These are the Dried Banana Pieces ( Sukkeli )
I am sending this across to the Eat Christmas Cookies Event hosted by Susan.
Dec 10, 2007
Print this recipe