Jan 7, 2008

Avocado Rotis..


You might be surprised that this is the first time I made something with Avacados. Have seen it so many times in the stores and was aware of the Gaucamole and all, but always thought this needed a lot of effort in cutting and getting the pulp out. How wrong was my thinking, I know now. One thing I can say about blogging is, it has made me open my eye to new vegetables and using them differently, although I still have a long way to go. I came across the Avacado Chapatis in Indira's site and got the idea from there. She said in her site, that she came across the Avacado Parathas in GM's blog.
I can't agree more with them on how smooth and soft the rotis turned out to be. Also, I added a fair amount of finely chopped mint leaves to the dough and alongwith the ajwain, the flavour was very nice.

Ingredients

Firm, but ripe avocado - 2
Wheat flour - 2 1/3 cups
Mint leaves - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Haldi powder - 1/4 tsp
Ajwain - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Water - 2 tbl spns, approx
Oil - to fry

Method

- Cut the avocado lengthwise and remove the pit and scoop out the flesh. Take the flesh in a mixing bowl and mash it nicely.
- To this add the haldi, chilli powder, ajwain, mint, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the wheat flour to it. Make the dough my mixing all these ingredients itself.
- Add water only if needed. Avocados will yield all the fat and moisture to the dough, so you might not need any more water.
- Keep the dough covered for about 15 mins.
- Then, roll out into rotis and fry on tawa by applying oil on both sides.
- Serve with chutney or any vegetable dish.
- I served them with Vayagana Bajji( Eggplant Chutney ) and Sambar.


Print this recipe

1 Comment:

Meera said...

Those avocado rotis look really delicious. I will try them too :-)