Jan 7, 2008

Vayangana Bajji ( Eggplant Chutney )


This a often-made side dish in Konkani homes. An easy to make, good to taste, kind of dishes. It is usually made as a side for a kind of rice rotti for breakfast.
This can be prepared with onions or without it. At my home, my mom makes it always without the onions and I like it that way too. But the most important thing in this dish lies in how to roast it (I'm not getting the right word here ). Back home, they do it on charcoal, and the taste imparted to the eggplant this way is the best and almost not replaceable any other way that you do it. But hey, that doesn't mean you can't do it other ways. Like I used the oven :)...

Ingredients

Whole Eggplant - 1 big
Fresh coconut,grated- 1/4 cup
Green Chillies - 2, chopped
Tamarind - 1 tsp or 1 piece
Salt - to taste

Method

- Wash the eggplant. Wipe it clean. Apply little oil all over it and bake it in the oven at 350F for about 30-45 mins. Keep checking so that it doesnt get burnt.
- Then, peel off the skin with your hands and keep the whole inside mass aside.
- In a bowl, take the coconut, tamarind, chillies and salt and squeeze all together with your fingers.
- Add the eggplant mass to it and again mash/mix everything together till it mixes well.
- I served this with Avocado Rotis.

Print this recipe

11 Comments:

Purnima said...

Maya..bhaari laayak dish assa vyanganachey! Don't think at my side its made though!

FH said...

I made Avocado rotis from Maheshwari's blog, loved it. Badane chutney is simple and yummy!:)

Meera said...

This dish my grandmom's mom used to make - so I have been told. Only difference was that she used to drizzle some coconut oil and no tamarind. It's amazing that how we discover these recipes from the blogosphere, sometimes they are similar in names and yet little different in ingredients to make an amazingly unique dish of each household. Thanks for sharing. I will try yours next time.

Anonymous said...

Thank-you Purnima..

Yes Asha, we loved the rotis too, specially coz they were soo smooth and soft.

Meera, its true, each dish although the same name, will have many different versions..Ya, Do try it..

Sagari said...

I love eggplant chutney a lot YOUR RECIPE LOOKS SO SIMPLE

Red Chillies said...

Hi Maya. This is the first time to your blog and like it here. I am a fellow GSB too and my father is from Karwar. I will come here more for Konkani recipes.

Is that MAngeshi temple in your banner there? That is our kuladev.

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Hi Maya
I know it must have tasted very nice. Reminded me of back home. We sometimes use baked tomatoes and onions along with it.But the concept of coconut gives me new idea.Thanks for sharing.
Recently did another cake. Do have a look, whenever you can.

Finla said...

I have never made avovado roti.
SO i think i will have the whole plate so i can taste them ;-)

Seema said...

Hey! Maya, first time at your blog & liked it. Nice collection of recipes. I am a GSB too!! Loved your VeinganyaBajji - Thats we we call it atr our place! Great post.

Anonymous said...

Try it sometime Sagari, it is really simple and tasty.

Red Chillies, so glad you visited my blog and good to know about you. Sure, please do keep visiting my blog. Btw, that is Kaveri Kamakshi temple in Shiroda (Goa), and the other one is Damodar temple (Goa).

Anamika, thanx..Wonderful creations you have in your blog :)..

Happy Cook, go ahead and grab them all :)..You are most welcome..

Thanx for visiting Seema and hope to see you more often :)..

Poornima said...

Hi Maya, Mouthwatering pic!!!=P~. I am GSB, born and bred in Bombay and settled in Australia-QLD. This recipe also reminded me of my mom, making vainganya gojju (am i spelling it correctly), well, i vaguely remember she adding boiled potatoes and then tempering the mix of roasted mashed eggplant and boiled potatoes with garlic. Not very sure but the look of the dish was the same as pic above :) If you knw what i'm talkin abt please post the recipe, so as not to keep others :-?. =D> Thanks