Jan 20, 2008

Garlic Chicken


When I heard about Sunita’s ‘Think Spice’ event this month is Garlic, I started thinking as to what to make. I just love garlic and there are loads of recipes in everyday cooking in which I use garlic. But I had got this one recipe from my mom and thought it would do complete justice to my ever loved spice ‘Garlic’.
A must try, first for the flavor, and then for the simplicity. So here is my entry..

Ingredients

Chicken, boneless – 1 lb, cut into small chunks
Garlic cloves, crushed and chopped – 8-10 large ones
Yogurt – 1/2 cup
Pepper powder, coarsely crushed – 2 tsp
Jeera (Cumin), coarsely crushed - 1 tsp
Haldi powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 10-12
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - around 4 -5 tsp approx

Method

- Marinate the chicken with haldi, yogurt and salt for atleast an hour.
- Put this marinated chicken along with the marinade in a hot pan and cook uncovered till the chicken gets coated with the juices and it becomes almost dry. (At this point it should still have a little liquid content in it). Adjust and add salt if needed. Put off the heat.
- Then, in a small pan separately, take little oil, sauté the garlic nicely till it is light golden in color, add the pepper, cumin and curry leaves. Stir for a minute or so.

- Put this mixture in the above dry chicken mix. Mix well and cook till the chicken gets properly coated with the spices, and gets cooked and dry ( or slightly browned).
- Add lemon juice to the above, mix well and take off from heat.
- Serve hot with rice and a dal or curry of your choice.

Print this recipe

12 Comments:

Purnima said...

Maya..bhaari ruchii dista ye chicken!(I wanted to bring to your notice,a pop-up ad which partially blocks the ingredient list.It refuses to go. can u pls chk..the first two letters of each ingredient row are blocked) I shall surely try this dry variety sometime!

Anonymous said...

Hey Purnima, Thank-you for letting me knw of the pop-up, will check. Ya, try the chicken sometime :).

Deeba PAB said...

Sounds great Maya. My 2 fave ingredients...garlic & lemon; explosive combination. This recipe is a keeper!

Finla said...

You can just give me the whole plate.

FH said...

How beautiful! My kids would love this dish!:)

Meera said...

Maya:
Looks delicious and simple to make. I love garlic!

Anonymous said...

Visual treat , Maya.. very appealing and beautiful colors. I like the cruncy curry leaves. Reminds of nagarjuna Bglore..

sunita said...

Maya, thanks for sending over that lovely dish...one of our favourites :-)

Anonymous said...

Deeba, thanx for stopping by at my blog and the nice comment :)..

Happy Cook, sure, take it before its all gone ;)..

Asha, so glad to hear frm you after a long time. I tried to go n comment in ur site, but was too late. Hope all's well at ur end :)..

Meera, yes, garlic and chicken, can't go wrong, rite ;)..

Beans, oh yes, Nagarjuna indeed, oh I so miss it now :(..

Sunita, thanx and am happy to be a part of your lovely event..

Unknown said...

i love garlic and garlic chicken is my favorite:) ur recipe sounds easy, i will make it one of these days:)

Anonymous said...

Thanx Rv, do try it n lemme know..

vivari said...

hi
chciken looks yummy. we love garlic so will try it
vivari
www.like2enjoy.blogspot.com