Jan 3, 2008

Soya Cabbage Matar Pulav..



I had borrowed the book ' Cooking with 1 teaspoon of Oil ' by the famous Tarla Dalal, from a friend. Ofcourse, Tarla Dalal needs no introduction. I followed her recipe for Soya-Matar Pulav today, but with a few changes of my own. Firstly, I added red cabbage also to it, so I call it Soya Cabbage Matar Pulav. Will mention the other changes as I write the method below. But hey, as the title of the book suggests, I used only 1 teaspoon of oil. Now, that is an achievement for me :)...

Ingredients

Basmati rice, raw - 1 1/2 cups
Soya chunks - 1/2 cup , I used the mini chunks
Green peas, fresh or frozen - 1/2 cup
Red Cabbage, shredded - 1 cup
Onions - 1 big, finely chopped
Tomato - 1 medium
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon stick (dalchini) - 1 inch piece
Cloves (lavang) - 3
Bay leaf - 1
Cumin seeds (jeera) - 1/2 tsp
Cardamom (elaichi) - 1
Haldi powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Yogurt - 2 tsp ( the original recipe doesn't use yogurt, but I did )
Salt - to taste

Grind the following to a paste
Garlic cloves - 5
Whole red chillies - 4

Note: The original recipe called for grinding into paste the garlic and chillies, but I ground the coriander seeds and the tomato also along with it. So it was a nice red paste.

Method

- Wash the rice, soak in water for 10 mins. Drain and keep aside.
- Now pressure cook the soya chunks with 1 1/2 cups of water and salt for 2 whistles. Then drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in the cooker, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and cardamom.
- When seeds start crackling, add the onions and saute till light brown.
- Then, add the ground paste and fry well.
- Add the haldi, garam masala powder, green peas, rice, cooked soya chunks and salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water, add the yogurt, and cook for 2 whistles. Else, cook till done in electric cooker.
- Serve hot with a raita. I served with a simple red cabbage raita.

An update here: Thanx to Asha and Meera for letting me know of the 'Soya Event'.
Am sending this across as my entry to Rajitha of HungerPangs for WBB-Soy and its By-Products.

Print this recipe

8 Comments:

Purnima said...

Maya, lovely and nutritious recipe! Meera too has a TD recipe..I just happen to save it to my folder :)
Have to try this..nutrella assa megelyagi (my mil makes a yummy side dish with sprouted chana,moong,matki,peas+nutrella a dry one..simple but delicious!)shall post that soon...

FH said...

Maya, there is a event going on with "Soy", I think it is Nags blog,send it to her.Check my sidebar for info. Personally except Tofu, I don't like Soy product. Pulao looks delicious though, I should try!:)

Meera said...

Maya,
Very healthy recipe! Thanks for sharing! I too have nutrella at home. Will give it a try soon. Well, was about to mention about Rajitha's event, but looks like Asha already told you so.

Anonymous said...

Thanx Purnima..Will wait for ur MIL's recipe :)..

Thanx Asha for letting me know, I looked in your site and got the info :)..

Meera, yes, trying to eat healthy amidst all the chocolate and sweets and sugar..Phew, too much, isn't it ?? Thanx for telling me about the Garlic event also :)..

Rajitha said...

Maya..it looks great..i have the same book with me but yet to make anything from it!!

Suganya said...

I find adding a tbsp of grated coconut gives a zing to the dish. Because soy chunks can be dull sometimes :). Kala channa will be great in this pulao.

Anonymous said...

Thnx Rajitha..I have to return tht book, hence trying to do as much as possible :). You shld try too, since you have the book with you..

Suganya, thanx for the tips..Will try next time with coconut n kala channa..

Unknown said...

hey mayakka ...can i use white cabbage instead?