Jan 27, 2008

Black Chickpeas Curry ( Chanya Randayi )


Chanya Randayi is another of the very many randayi's that is liked by many Konkanis. I have had it mostly on festive occassions in functions, at home and in temples. It is just a basic combination of coconut masala and black channa ( black chickpeas). So here goes..

Ingredients
Black Chickpeas - 1 cup
Frozen/fresh grated coconut - 1 cup
Coriander seeds- 2 tsp
Dried red chillies - 6
Tamarind - 1 piece
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
For seasoning, you need:

Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 4-5
Dried Red chillies - 2
Oil

Method

- Soak the chickpeas overnight in enough water.
- Pressure cook the chickpeas with little salt upto 3 whistles or till it is soft.
- Grind the coconut with the red chillies, tamarind, coriander seeds, haldi powder to a fine paste.
- In a pan, take the boiled chickpeas, add the ground coconut paste and add salt. Add water to make little gravy consistency and boil till the raw smell from the paste goes away.
- In another small pan, take little oil, add the mustard seeds, once they start spluttering, add the red chillies and curry leaves. Turn off the heat.
- Add this to the chickpeas gravy and quickly cover the pan to retain the fragrance of the seasoning.
- Serve as a side with rice and any gravy, or can be mixed with rice also.

Print this recipe

13 Comments:

FH said...

Just looking at ths chana dish making my mouth water! Looks very tasty and simple to make too.Thanks Maya!:))

Anonymous said...

Black chickpeas curry is one of my fav. I love it with chapathi. But never added coconut in it. Its something new to me. Must have tasted good.You have a very Nice blog.

Suganya said...

This would be divine with ghee rice. Thanks for the recipe, Maya.

Finla said...

I am hungry now.
Love to have them with rice ir chapati

Sagari said...

very nice recipe maya surely I will this soon

Meera said...

I love it. We call it chanya ghasshi. but thanks to food blogs, now I know that north canara and south canara have sometimes different names and recipes too...our version is same as yours except no coriander seeds. i would love to eat it right now with a heap of rice....

Anonymous said...

Thanx to all of you for your comments..Hope you all will try it and like it too ..

Dhivya said...

Nice recipe...My husband will like this,Will surely try...

Archy said...

Hi.. Maya.. I love this Chanya Randayi.. !! This is my fav dish wat my mom makes.. Every week Friday my mom used to make it as i loved it.. !!

Shilpa said...

I thought I had left a comment here may be again messes u bcos of multiple ids.

I love this randayi very much. This a dali thoy...Ahh what a nice and comforting combo :).

Seema said...

Nice oneMaya. We dont add corriander in south canera. We call it Ghassi... really a yummy dish with rice & some nice upkari on the side!

Archana Doshi said...

I have never tried cooking this version, but have eaten it many times and have always loved it. Infact, one of my keralite friends, served it with puttu.
Archana
http://www.archanaskitchen.com

Unknown said...

Nice recipe... We can have this curry with Chapati. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.