Jan 6, 2008

Fish Curry ( Aalle-Kaandya Aambat )



This is one kind of fish curry we make and goes best for particular varieties like Paaplet(Pomfret), Baangde (Mackeral), Iswan (Kingfish),Taarle (Sardines) and Belanji ( think its called Silver fish ). This curry is not made very spicy like the Teppla Ammbat.
I like this curry all by itself so much that sometimes, I just replace potatoes and green mango for fish and just keep licking my fingers.This time, I used Paaplet( Pomfret) in the curry.

Ingredients

Fish pieces - about 6
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Red chillies - 8
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Tamarind - 1 small piece
Ginger - 1 1/2 inch piece, finely sliced
Onion - 1 big, chopped
Green chillies - 1 cut into small pieces
Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste

Method

- Grind the grated coconut, red chillies, coriander seeds, tamarind and salt with water in a mixie to get a smooth masala.
- Take little oil in a vessel, add the onions and ginger pieces and fry till translucent.
- Put the masala in it, green chilli, add salt and boil.
- Then add the fish pieces and cook till the fish is done ( fish cooks very fast, so dont boil too much ).
- Enjoy hot with rice....

Print this recipe

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Very tempting. Though I am vegetarian, I am going to try this with broccoli. Any other suggestions
Archana
http://www.archanaskitchen.com

Meera said...

Yummy. My all time favorite! We call it alle piyyav. and also make it using a vegetable "magge" for shivrak (vegetarian) days!

Purnima said...

Maya..mouth watering fish curry! My amma makes with a slight difference..she boils the alley-peeavu in the coconut masolu, then after one khatkhato, adds the fish after one more boil, pours a tbspn of coconut oil and covers for flavours to mingle! I shall try this fish curry too! Simple and fast isnt it!

Shilpa said...

I love this ambat. Aayi makes this often at home :).

Meera said...

Maya,
I have included your link in my post about allepiyyav. Hope it's ok.
http://enjoyindianfood.blogspot.com/2007/11/paplet-allepiyyav-gingery-pomfret-curry.html

Sagari said...

wow gravy looks so yummy nice recipe maya and pic looks lovely

Anonymous said...

This brings fond memories of fish curry in honavar and kumta!

Yumm!
THanks for sharing, Maya!
Great job!

and nice color on that ambat!
:-))

Anonymous said...

Thanx to all of you :)..Really appreciate it ..

Anonymous said...

I have a doubt. Do we need to add a few cups of water?

Thanks in advance!

KonkaniBlogger said...

Hi Swaroop,

Yes, forgot to mention, you need to add little water, maybe about 1/2-1 cup, not more. Let me know if you try it..