Traditionally, these are made with rice flour, but my mom makes them most of the time with wheat flour. So I have followed her way of making it..
So, here goes..
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Salt - a pinch
- In a wide vessel, bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and a tsp of oil to it. Switch off the flame.
- Now to this hot water, add the wheat flour little by little at a time, with constant stirring and mixing, just that the whole thing forms into one mass without any lumps.
- Once done, cover the vessel with a lid so that the dough remains hot.
- Now, once you can handle the dough, take little mixture of the dough at a time, make a small ball, pat with some wheat flour and roll out like regular rotis.
- Heat a tawa, and fry the rotis on both sides till done without any oil.
- Serve hot with a chutney or side of your choice.
- The method remains the same when you use Rice flour too.
- Don't worry if you cannot make the dough into a uniform mass, take care to avoid the lumps though. When you take little mixture at a time while rolling, you can knead the little ball again and make it even.
- The dough has to remain hot while rolling out, once cold its not possible to roll them out. So ensure that you keep the dough covered everytime you take a little of the mixture.
- These rottis are served usually with a chutney( a coconut-ginger chutney always at my place), but you can serve them with any side of your choice.
- I served mine with a Mushroom-Corn Curry this time..
Mushroom Corn Curry..
IngredientsMushrooms, sliced - 2 cups
Fresh/Frozen Corn kernels - 1 cup
Red Bell pepper, sliced thin - 1 cup
Onions, finely chopped - 1/2 cup
Tomato, stewed - 1/2 cup ( I used the canned ones ). You can use fresh also.
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
- Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and onions and fry till onions are transparent.
- Add the stewed tomatoes and fry well.
- Add the mushrooms, corn and the bell pepper and saute well for a minute.- Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and garam masala powder.
- Cook till done.
I'd like to send this to Lata's Combi Breakfasts event..
Update : Am also sending this to Deepa's ' RCI- Konkan Cuisine'. Thank you Deepa. Print this recipe